Saturday, 13 December 2014

RISING ABOVE FEAR- RISING ABOVE THE RAPIDS!















Watching Salman khan for the 
hum sabke andar ek toofan hai,  Bas
dhakkan uthane ki der hai campaign will probably remain an inspirational quote
for me  for driving me through anything
and impressing others too( sounds really good when you say it, I tried!) I'm no
telly girl. I hardly watch television except for some music when I have time
for it..but this mountain dew thing.. I just get it. Its true really. And it
works.
I'm a bit of a hydrophobic..I shower daily though( cleanliness
is next to godliness for me)..I tried swimming but mostly it scares me.. I love
looking at a calm sea.. a flowing river making its way through tough mountains
and passes.. its a wonder of nature truly. But somehow being a true blue Gemini
I've always wanted to try everything..adventure sports of all sorts.. mad
experiences that leave me dizzy and high.
White water rafting has become a sport that most people try
before moving on to bigger stuff ( say sky diving or cliff hanging or the likes).
I've wanted to do it for the past 15 years.. yeah, its taken that long! but
this trip to Rishikesh and some real good advice from a loved one saw me
through this ordeal, and I emerged victorious, alive and beaming . I had done
it. All it took was  step forward.
All my friends have tried it, they go for harder rapid and
longer courses each time. And I was always a mere listener. This time it was different.
I was ready.. I'm 30 after all, in a few years my bones wouldn't even heal fast
if I break them during my sojourn, it was now or never. I signed up for this
journey to kill it this time for sure. And I did it in style. If only there was
an 21 Topon Ki Salaami waiting at the end for me!
It was just a thought. That's how it started. I was coming
back from a rather uneventful trip to Mussourie . Rishikesh is on the way back.
We took a detour. It was beautiful. We stopped over for the night. One of the
healthiest collective decisions by my family. Rishikesh = rafting. In that city
everyone seemed to be on water atop  those colorful floating rafts. They beckoned
me from the holy river Ganges. soul searching, soul purification..it could all
be done in one go..in hand with my undying spirit to go rafting once at least.
It was a call that seemed so natural. We signed up for it. 6 am sharp next
morning. It was a morning that would change me somehow.
I'd done bungee jumping, I've done Para sailing, para
gliding, its all cool. Its the challenge of the wild meanders that I wanted to
win over, with the battle of my hydrophobia. I had to overcome it. If I say I want
to explore the earth, its 3/4 water. The mission's accomplishment  is now self explanatory right.
The moment was historical. 6.30 am on a clear blue morning
in June..I was days away from turning 31..I wanted to do it before that. Geared
with a life jacket, a fearless instructor, a big blue raft and the necessary
gear.. I along with my bro just set out to do the thing. For him it was an
experience, for me it was an iconic moment- to over come my fear. Ganga Maiya
calling out with open arms. i took the plunge. some instructions later we were
sailing. ..it was exciting..my guts were in knots and my mind was filled with exhilaration.
the first rapid approached.. I could hear the instructions clear,-
Paddle! Paddle! Stop!...Now fast! Forward! Down!
...Backwards!..I followed it all.  I
swallowed the experience..and I began to enjoy..T he river throwing the raft
around like a toy. We at the mercy of nature..any moment we could go down in
freezing water..what if? It just never happened.
I Did it. The entire 15 kms!. Each passing rapid..complex
and big..I conquered it. I even went down the raft...freely floating in the
open water..deep..quiet. It changed my perceptions a lot.. its clichéd to say
so.. but its true..nature helps you know yourself. I was discovering nature and
it was discovering me.
Toofani ho hi gya..Dhakkan hat hi gya!

I conquered my fear. Check out https://www.facebook.com/mountaindewindia to be inspired for your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment